There are few experiences that can rival the birth of your first child.
And, if you’re the mother, there are few experiences that can rival child birth for utter havoc it wreaks on the body.
Fortunately, the medical world is awash in individuals trying to make the joyous misery of child birth a little less catastrophic. People like today’s guest, Julie Tupler.
A registered nurse, certified fitness instructor, and highly regarded teacher, Julie has spent the last 25-years refining an exercise program designed to help both pre- and post-natal women treat diastasis recti (stretching of the abdomen’s connective tissue leading to separation of the muscles).
She calls it the Tupler Technique® and its results are simply fantastic. In a study conducted in partnership with Colombia University, researchers found Julie’s technique not only helped patients repair damage to their diastasis, but repair as much as 55% of the damage in as little as six-weeks.
In fact, her technique has been so effective, it’s now being used by men, abdominal surgery patients, and back-pain sufferers, in addition to pre- and post-natal women.
Not a bad marketplace expansion, right?
Today, in addition to patient treatment and the products she retails on her website www.diastasisrehab.com, Julie trains other medical professionals, like midwives, osteopaths, and hernia doctors, in the nuances of her technique.
Tune-in to hear Julie and I discuss the origins of the Tupler Technique®, how she created a business model around her technique, how she grew her Tupler Technique® practice, and much, much more…
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 04:46 – Dr. Joe welcomes Julie Tupler
- 05:35 – Julie is a registered nurse, an educator and a fitness instructor
- 05:40 – She’s been developing the Tupler Technique for 25 years now
- 05:51 – She worked with pre- and postnatal women and her company was called Maternal Fitness
- 06:14 – Julie believes labor is a mind-body connection
- 06:43 – She wrote her first book, Maternal Fitness
- 06:50 – One PT who was teaching her program said their diastasis recti was getting smaller
- 07:15 – Julie went to Columbia University to ask if they were interested in doing a study on the Tupler Technique
- 07:35 – The results showed that people who used the Tupler Technique had smaller diastasis than those who didn’t
- 07:58 – A large diastasis can lead women to getting a C-Section
- 08:26 – In 2009, Julie closed her studio and opened Diastasis Rehab for men, women, and children
- 09:01 – She also works now with people who are having any type of abdominal surgery
- 10:08 – In 2004, Julie wrote, Lose Your Mummy Tummy
- 10:22 – Julie is launching a new book this April
- 10:35 – On her website, she updated her statistics stating that on the 6th week of the program, the diastasis was 55% smaller
- 10:54 – Julie worked with an osteopath in California
- 11:06 – The osteopath wanted to incorporate Julie’s program into his practice
- 11:22 – Julie saw he was working in a company called RegenX and asked if he was willing to do a platelet procedure on the linea alba
- 11:40 – The project ran for 18 weeks
- 11:54 – In week 4 of the program, they injected platelets in the connective tissue above and below the belly button
- 12:26 – The found that the connective tissue became bigger
- 12:49 – Julie’s program is about healing the connective tissue
- 13:52 – “We want to protect connective tissue from getting stretched”
- 14:24 – It’s really important upon movement to be able to engage the transverse muscles with several types of stretching
- 16:00 – Exercises are done in sitting position because it’s the best position to strengthen the transverse muscle
- 17:33 – Pelvic floor therapy is very prevalent these days
- 18:14 – There is an important connection between the pelvic floor and the transverse muscle; therefore, as you do pelvic floor therapy, address the diastasis as well
- 18:32 – Diastasis can also help people with back pain
- 19:45 – Any person complaining that they back pain should check their diastasis
- 20:25 – Julie invented the diastatometer
- 21:12 – When Julie trains other medical and fitness professionals who are learning her technique, there’s an 8-week home study program that they have to do themselves and they also need 2 case studies
- 21:35 – They also come to New York for 3 days of testing: written testing and performing a demonstration
- 22:07 – Medical professionals can use the training however they like
- 22:33 – Dr. Joe lists 3 ways to grow your practice from learning the Tupler Technique:
- 22:50 – Creating relationships with midwives and doctors, osteopaths using RegenX
- 22:56 – Connecting with hernia doctors, as well
- 23:49 – Also connect with internal medicine doctors
- 24:34 – It’s very easy to connect with midwives as there is a growing demand for midwives in the country
- 25:03 – Physical therapists should also look at scar mobilization with a client’s c-section scar
- 25:53 – Julie still sees clients and trains people 3x/year
- 26:08 – She will be holding a seminar for any PTs on Monday, April 24, 2:00-5:00 in the Union Square Area, NYC
- 26:38 – Check out Julie’s course at Tupler Technique
- 27:32 – Check out Julie’s website and enroll in her course
- 29:18 – You can buy her products wholesale, on her website
- 32:53 – Please leave us a review on iTunes!
3 Key Points:
- Keep an open mind, especially when it comes to learning new therapies that can heal your body.
- The Tupler Technique can open up a new revenue stream for your practice, attracting those needing pelvic floor therapy and pre and postpartum clients as well.
- Creating relationships with professionals in mutually beneficial fields can open the door to more business and better care for clients.